Thursday, October 20, 2011

Homemade Garlic Hummus with Pine Nuts


I buy and eat hummus a lot.  Once I looked at the ingredient list, I realized this is something I could totally make on my own in larger quantities, saving us money and allowing me to put what I want in each batch.  I tested two versions of this recipe, and this one was my favorite by far.  It makes a ton so if you have a big food processor and eat a lot of hummus like me, this is perfect for you.

Ingredients:
2 cans (16 oz.) garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), separated
1/2 cup of the liquid reserved from the beans
About two or three lemons squeezed, or 5 to 6 tablespoons of lemon juice (I used fresh lemons)
3 tablespoons of tahini paste
4 cloved of garlic, crushed or minced
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of sea salt - optional
1/2 cup of pine nuts

Directions:
1. Drain the garbanzo beans and reserve 1/2 cup of the liquid.
2. Plan the first five ingredients in a food processor (beans through garlic), including salt if you are adding.
3. Turn on food processor and blend for at least three minutes.
4. With food processor on, drizzle in olive oil and blend for 30 more seconds.
5. Add pine nuts and pulse several times, mixing the nuts in but not chopping them up.  You can also sprinkle the pine nuts on top of the dip with a little olive oil.
6. Serve as a dip with chips, vegetables, or pita bread.  I love my hummus in veggie wraps and burgers.  This keeps in the fridge for a couple of weeks.


Let me know if there are other variations of hummus recipes you have tried and love!  I am always looking to expand my recipe book.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I feel like I could honestly make this! I know I probably sound like a moron but can you explain what crushing or mincing the garlic means? When you say crushing, how much do I crush them and mincing, well, I honestly don't even know what that entails. Thanks!! :)

From Flip Flops to Snow Boots said...

I always buy a small container of minced garlic (comes in a small glass jar in the grocery store) to keep in my refrigerator since I rarely have fresh garlic in the house. If you have fresh garlic, it means to chop it up really, really fine. Personally, I would just buy the pre-minced stuff from the store. Hope that helps!