Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Morning Breakfast

I read and loved the Beauty Detox Diet by Kimberly Snyder recently and really loved most of her food theories.  My favorite was the green smoothie idea.  It helps you get more vegetables into your diet, as well as some of the harder to get down nutrient powders I love taking daily.  These include spirulina and flax oil/seeds.  Here is the recipe for my favorite green breakfast smoothie.  It really helps me get my fiber intake in, as well as keep me regular, if you know what I mean.  You can add and subtract whatever else you want to make this work for you.

Jen's Green Breakfast Smoothie
1/2 cup kale (I just grab a handful)
1/2 spinach (I just grab a handful)
1 cup coconut milk (you can also use almond milk) - I would suggest staying away from dairy, which I will get into in a future post
2 tsp flax seeds
2 tbsp chia seeds (these are fiber packed and nutrient rich)
1 tbsp flax oil
1 tsp spirulina
1 Banana
4 Large Strawberries/Handful of frozen berries

I just guest the portion sizes of most of the items and put it in. I purchase kale and spinach in bulk from Costco and just freeze it.  Sometimes I use more greens and add lemon and ginger root for detox and take out the banana.

Enjoy your breakfast smoothie tomorrow.


No comments: